The Cambridgeshire Paid Teacher Internship is a two-year programme that offers a route to obtaining Qualified Teacher Status. It was created by Teachincambs, a county council sponsored collaborative recruitment group.
Who is it for?
It was designed to run alongside other initial teacher training (ITT) routes to provide schools with a career path for people with the potential to be a teacher who would benefit from a more gradual approach and a paid route.
Experience has shown that this works particularly well for schools who want to develop their Teaching Assistants (TA’s).
The structure is outlined below:
Year one – this is a pre- initial teacher training (ITT) year. Interns will work as a TA in the first two terms, with some teaching or small group teaching in the third term. Training is provided throughout the year that revolves around the practicalities of working in a school and develops important skills, such as questioning and planning. Each intern has a mentor within their own school, with whom they will meet on a regular basis.
Costs - £450 for training and programme management. Salary – at least national living wage ( approx. £10,000)
Year two - interns will complete their ITT through the Postgraduate Teacher Apprenticeship.
Costs -£9000 for training. Paid for by the apprenticeship levy. Salary Unqualified Teacher rate 1.
Example timetable of the programme:
- Application window October to February – apply via Teachincambs
- Interviews – April
- Placing interns in schools – April to July
- Interns start at school September 2020
- Apply for apprenticeship following April 2021, via UCAS for Year 2
- QTS granted June 2021, End point assessment June 2021.
Main benefits for schools:
- An additional way to acquire qualified teachers alongside your usual routes.
- A chance to grow your own staff.
- The chance to future-proof staffing issues, in a difficult recruitment climate.
- CPD and mentoring opportunities for your existing staff, which could help retain them.
- Utilise your apprenticeship levy money (£9000 per apprentice).
Main benefits for interns:
- A chance to build up your skills and experience gradually; getting you ready for teacher training.
- Get a salary during both training years.
- Build a solid relationship with your school.
- Training costs are covered by the apprenticeship levy for year 2.
If you are a Headteacher that would like to find out more information about the internship, please consult the documents below.
If you are a candidate that would like more information about how to apply, please visit the Teach in Cambridgeshire website.