This programme has been developed for early years settings including pre-schools, playgroups, day nurseries, maintained nurseries and childminders. The programme is a self-evaluation and quality improvement tool which provides early years settings with resources and materials to review, plan and develop policy and practice in relation to a number of health related themes, while respecting the uniqueness of the setting and its community. Themes include:
- Healthy Eating
- Physical Activity
- Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing
- Loss and Change
- Safeguarding and Child protection
- Staff health and Wellbeing
The programme provides explicit guidance on how the programme supports settings in implementing the EYFS including the learning and development requirements and the safeguarding and welfare requirements. It also provides guidance on how the programme will support the implementation of the Integrated Review which brings together Health and Early Years Reviews at age two to two and a half.
The programme provides practitioners in early years settings with:
- suggestions on how to manage the programme including setting up a working party.
- review frameworks to support an audit of work on key health related themes.
- good practice guides providing clear guidance on what settings can do to improve planning and practice in each of these health related themes and an action planning tool.
- guidance on involving parents/carers and the wider community in supporting the planning and implementation of health promotion work within the setting (includes a sample leaflet for use with families).
- guidance on involving the work of services and organisations that work with early years settings to promote health and well-being.
- illustrative guides on the EYFS and how the programme supports settings in implementing the EYFS principled themes, learning and development requirements and the safeguarding and welfare requirements.
The Programme costs £95 (plus postage and packing).
Contact Sasha Barker for more details.
The PSHE Service provides a half day training course to support setting with the implementation of this programme.