Raising Attainment in Year 1
The Raising Attainment in Year 1 project aims to:
- Improve pupil attainment at the end of Year 1, securing age-related expectations
- Ensure progress for all pupils, particularly from identified/disadvantaged groups
- Provide CPD for Year 1 teachers, teaching assistants and SLT to ensure clarity around age-related expectations and progression across the year
- Support staff subject knowledge and confidence related to teaching and learning in one or more of the following areas: phonics, reading, writing and/or maths
To meet these aims, in 2017/18, English and Maths Advisers worked with teachers and teaching assistants from 11 Cambridgeshire schools. Participating teachers commented:
- "Taking part in the project has improved my confidence and subject knowledge" Year 1 Teacher
- "The students now demonstate better learning behaviours and settle more quickly to their work" Year 1 Teacher
- "The majority of children in my class made good or better progress" Key Stage 1 Leader
To read about the actions and impact of the project from 2017/18, click on the "2017/18" tab below. To find out more about the project going forward, click on the "2018/19" tab below.
In 2017/18 advisers provided free training and bespoke support for each participating school. This support focussed on attainment in one specific subject area, either Reading, Writing, Phonics or Maths; and included one or more of the following:
- support with diagnostic assessment to identify students' areas for development and/or barriers to learning
- support with action planning and evaluation
- planning and assessment support
- providing bespoke professional development through leading training sessions for teachers and/or teaching assistants
- moderation of teacher assessments and identifying areas for further development
- identifying useful resources and modelling how to use them effectively
At the end of the school year, each of the participating schools wrote a short case study to identify and evaluate the impact of the project. This information was used to inform the project evaluation - which is available to download in full, below.
In 2018/19 the project will be running again. English and Maths Advisers will be offering free training and bespoke in-school support to schools who are looking to improve their attainment outcomes for Year 1 students in Reading, Writing, Phonics or Maths.
The project will be specifically supporting schools with an identified target group of disadvantaged pupils. More details will be announced in September, as dates and venues are confirmed.
If you work in a school that would be interested in taking part, please contact us by emailling Emma.Fuller@cambridgeshire.gov.uk
Size: 824.74 KB File format: pdf
Size: 662.45 KB File format: pdf
If you would like to find out more about the project, or would like to express an interest in taking part in next year's project, please contact Emma Fuller