Cambridgeshire Forest School - Learning outside the Classroom
Our Forest School Vision
Since late 2016, local authority officers from the Early Years and Outdoor Education Services have been working together to consider how to support settings and schools to implement regular Forest School sessions for their children.
We would like Forest Schools to be available for all children and young people to enhance the curriculum, accelerate achievement and bring learning to life. The Forest School ethos provides children and young people with a sense of responsibility as they explore, make discoveries and investigate new mysteries.
Available across Cambridgeshire and the East of England, Forest School sessions will support cross-curricular learning and help develop essential skills that are often transferred back into the classroom. Those taking part in sessions often see an increase in confidence, resilience, motivation, social skills, problem solving and the promotion of independent learning.
A vast woodland is not required! Grounds and natural spaces are utilised to connect children with their local environment.
To hear more about future Forest School professional development events, including conferences and network evenings, please contact us and we will add you to our mailing list.
Forest School Events
- Our annual Forest School Conference 2019 will be held on Saturday 27 April 2019 at Wildawood Forest School . The conference is open to early years practitioners, teachers and other professionals who have a passion for Forest School. Delegates will have the opportunity to listen to inspiring keynotes and choice of two workshops. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
- Termly Forest School Network evenings are held at various locations across Cambridgeshire, giving all those who have an interest in Forest School the opportunity to share good practice. Dates and venues to be confirmed.
- Forest School Skills Day - following the success of our Summer term event, the next Forest School Skills Day will be held on Wednesday 17 October 2018, in Forest Owls Woodland, Ellington. This is an opportunity to link with like-minded people and build upon Forest School skills and ethos.
Services available from Early Years Service
Support packages available for schools and early years settings:
- Support to begin your Forest School journey, e.g. identifying a suitable woodland/wild space, starting your action plan, developing risk benefit assessments
- Reflection on current Forest School practice to further develop quality
- Bespoke team training to develop Forest School knowledge and skills
Settings with early years membership can purchase a Forest School bundle. Please see details on page 10 of the annual Early Years and Childcare Training Programme.
Support for schools is available on a pay-as-you-go basis. Full details are available on page 11 of the annual Early Years and Childcare Training Programme.
The programme can also be accessed here.
If you are interested in hosting a network or wish to support the Forest School vision, please let us know, contact details below.
For a full list of the products and service we offer, and a list of prices please contact the Early Years Service.