Talking Together in Cambridgeshire - launch events
We are excited to tell you that the Community Literacy Project is now up and running across Cambridgeshire! Some of you may have already met us on our visits to our project areas including Wisbech, Huntingdon, March, Chatteris and NE Cambridge City.
For those of you that haven’t heard about our project, we are going to be working with people from the communities who are keen to support children and their families to achieve better outcomes in terms of language and literacy development. If you haven’t met with us yet but you would like to, please do let us know.
We are keen to learn what changes you would like to make in your local community so as to improve language and literacy levels. We also want to support local people to build on their own capacity to meet the needs of those living in their communities. Therefore, funding will be available for local community groups from each of the project areas to set up activities which meet one of the projects aims.
The key aims of the project are to:
- Improve parental awareness, knowledge and confidence of their role as primary educator in supporting their child’s language and literacy development, in order to improve in the home learning environment (children aged 0-6).
- Increase the awareness, knowledge and confidence of the Early Years workforce in identifying and supporting communication, language and literacy development of children.
- To increase the awareness, knowledge and confidence of local community and county-wide organisations and Partners (e.g. speech and language therapy, health visitors, GPs, housing officers, midwives, children’s centre staff, library staff, Job Centre Plus and voluntary sector organisations) in identifying and supporting children, parents/carers and wider community members, with language and literacy needs.
More details on the eligibility criteria will be released in the coming days. The application process for bids to the Community Literacy Project Fund will be explained at our upcoming Community Literacy Project Launch Events and will be added to our website after the events have taken place.
The launch events aim to bring community members together to:
- Find out more about the project, its aims and objectives
- Network with each other
- Help to identify local need
- Map existing provision, and identify any gaps in service delivery
- Provide examples of activities running in other project areas across the UK
The launch events
Location: Huntingdon Library, Princes Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3PA
Date and time: Monday 30 April from 12.30pm to 2.30pm
Location: Wisbech Library, 5 Ely Place, Wisbech, PE13 1EU
Date and time: Thursday 3 May from 12.30pm to 2.30pm
Location: March Library, City Road, March, PE15 9LT (for both March and Chatteris)
Date and time: Tuesday 8 May from 12.30pm to 2.30pm
Location: Brown’s Field Youth and Community Centre, 31a Green End Road, Cambridge, CB4 1RU
Date and time: Friday 11 May from 12.45pm-2.45pm
Please note - Numbers will be restricted to one person per organisation as we are expecting a high level of interest.
Book your place below, under 'Community Literacy Project' heading