Extended entitlement (30 hours) childcare for working parents

All 3 and 4 year-olds are entitled to 570 hours of government funded childcare per year. From September 2017, children of working parents will become eligible for an additional 570 hours, equivalent to 30 hours per week during term-time, or 22.8 hours across 50 weeks of the year.

  • Information for parents about the extended entitlement (30 hours) for working parents can be found on the Cambridgeshire County Council website.
  • Parents should be informed that the local authority eligibility for the extended entitlement is determined by HMRC, and the Council cannot respond to specific questions about eligibility at this stage.

It is the statutory responsibility of the local authority to ensure that every child living in their area is able to access their entitlement.

We want as many providers as possible to sign up to offer the entitlement. In order to do that, providers need to explore

  • costs and income under the current model and the proposed new arrangements
  • staffing, premises and other resources, to ensure there is still capacity to meet the existing need as well as the new entitlement
  • The demand from parents in the area for the increased level of funded childcare, bearing in mind:
    • Not all families will be eligible for the new entitlement
    • Some entitled families may choose not to take up some or all of their additional entitlement.

The information on Learn Together has been compiled to help providers to make an informed decision. We have developed

For general enquiries please email 30hourschildcare@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.

If you have specific questions about the increase to 30 hours, please contact Sam Surtees sam.surtees@cambridgeshire.gov.uk or the  Early Years Service for specific advice on business planning or support for delivering the extended entitlement.  See the Business Tools page for contact details.

If you are a new provider or looking to expand your provision, please e-mail PlacePlanningReferrals0-19@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.